A Media Access Control (MAC) address is a unique, 12-character alphanumeric attribute that is used to identify individual electronic devices on a network. The MAC address for your device may be helpful when troubleshooting any networking issues that you encounter on that device.
- From the Apple Menu, open System Preferences...
- In the Internet & Wireless (Internet & Network in older versions) section, select the Network control panel.
- Select the desired network device in the list. This will typically be "Ethernet" for the wired Ethernet port or "AirPort" for the wireless network.
- Click the Advanced... button in the lower right corner.
- Select the Ethernet option.
- The value listed beside Ethernet ID: or AirPort ID: is the Hardware MAC Address for the selected network device. It will be in the format: XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX.