Before searching the internet for software to download, find out what WPI has to offer! WPI provides and supports a wide range of software for no cost.
Downloading “free” software from the internet could have a high cost if it comes with ransomware or other malware.
- Software Library: Use WPI Hub Software Library to access hundreds of software titles (linked in Actions). For software that is not licensed to WPI, IT recommends links to reputable install locations.
- Terminal Server and Frame VDI: Both offer access to software without the need to install on your device. (VDI requires permissions; please request access from the IT Service Desk.). Instructions linked in Related Articles.
- Operating System Updates: These must be performed regularly. IT-managed devices are regularly updated when connected to WPI’s network. For personal devices, find and execute Windows and Mac updates per your operating system.
- IT Managed Devices: To install applications on WPI IT-managed devices, use Software Center for Windows devices and Mac Self Service for Macs. Instructions linked in Related Articles.
Take caution when considering software downloads from the internet.
- Additional items may be downloaded if the installation is not provided by the manufacturer or a licensed distributor. Often ransomware, malware, and adware are also installed on your computer.
- When searching the web for software, the top search returns are usually ads or promotions and not always official software or app providers.
- Pop-up windows warning that software updates and downloads are needed may contain malicious content. If a software warning is received and seems suspicious, do not click on it. Take a screenshot, report it to IT, then close it using the Windows Task Manager or Mac Activity Monitor (even the close button could be a problematic link).
Malwarebytes explains malicious downloads further in the Action about Dubious Downloads.
WPI Information Security offers information in the Related Articles Free Rarely Means Free and Preventing Malware Infections.