As part of the university's ongoing identity management initiative, WPI adopted a login name and e-mail address standard on May 9th, 2011. The standard will help to facilitate automation of existing manual processes, future implementation of administrative systems and to better prepare for research collaboration with other educational institutions.
The following standard applies to all new WPI account holders, including incoming students and new employees:
- The standard follows the first-initial-middle-initial-last-name convention using an individual's legal name. For example, John A. Smith would receive the login jasmith and e-mail address firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The university encourages individuals to provide a legal middle name if possible. Those without a middle name or initial will follow the first-initial-last-name convention. For example, John Smith would receive the login jsmith and e-mail address email@example.com.
- Additional identities that result in the same login will be progressively provisioned with an incrementing number appended to the login, starting with the number 2. For example, James Smith would receive the login jsmith2 and e-mail address firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Login names (but not account access) will be retained indefinitely to support future account management and for auditing purposes.
The ITS Service Desk will only process a login name change request when one of the following exceptions is met:
- The login name is reasonably inappropriate (i.e., when composed it creates a vulgar or unacceptable word.)
- A legal or preferred name change has been officially documented with WPI (e.g., marriage, divorce, or otherwise).