Faculty can email their entire class as long as the term is active and the course is published. Faculty can open their class as early as needed using the instructions Extend Term Dates in Canvas (Related Article).
There are three Classlist options within the Canvas learning management system for faculty:
- Download the class roster for use in Excel.
- View all students and groups in a Canvas course.
- Use the Canvas message tool, which will send a copy of a message to the recipient's WPI email as well as any replies to the instructor's email in addition to storing the message Canvas Conversations.
While there is not a single-click option to email all students in a course section with Workday, student email is available in the reports View Course Section Roster and View Course Section Roster – WPI.
View Course Section Roster
1. On the Teaching Worklet, open View Course Section Roster. Enter the Course Section. Press OK.
2. A table of student information, including Student WPI Email will be displayed. Click the export to Excel button, upper right above table.
3. Copy email addresses from Excel, then paste into an Outlook email message.
View Course Section Roster – WPI
This report enables you to view multiple sections in one table, and select all students.
1. On the Teaching Worklet, open View Course Section Roster - WPI. Enter the Academic Period(s) and enter your name for Course Section Instructor. Press OK.
2. In the table of results, click on the number under View Roster to see student information for that course section, or click the number in Total to see all students. You may need to click and drag the double diagonal lines in the lower right corner of the report to resize it.
3. A table of student information, including Student WPI Email will be displayed. Click the export to Excel button, upper right above table.
4. Copy email addresses from Excel, then paste into an Outlook email message.