Information Technology (IT) will move files to OneDrive cloud storage, which enables greater security and file accessibility.
Files will be accessed using Office 365 OneDrive (screenshots in related Get Started with OneDrive article), individual cloud storage within Microsoft Office 365, rather than via on-premise storage. Files will begin appearing in OneDrive June 22; OneDrive is the preferred location to access and edit files as soon as they appear. Once you see files in OneDrive, stop accessing files from the current location (R: Drive).
OneDrive benefits include: 1 TB of storage; remote access without VPN or Terminal Servers; easily share links to files, including with trusted external collaborators; same integrations available as on-premise storage, including Canvas; simplified file recovery process.
Remove files from My_Documents that you do not need to keep, notify IT of automated process, get familiar with OneDrive! Additional information is in Details.
R:\\storage.wpi.edu\HOME\My_Documents drive will be moved to OneDrive June 22 – July 12, 2022.
The full path to the current on-premise storage is \\storage.wpi.edu\HOME\My_Documents; it is also known as My_Documents or the R: drive. Here it will be referred to as My_Documents.
- OneDrive allocates 1 TB of storage.
- Files are accessible via Office 365 and on computers and mobile devices across Windows (File Explorer), MacOS (Finder), Linux.
- VPN is not required for off-campus connections.
- File recovery process is simplified; users can undelete files for up to 3 months after deletion.
- Scheduling: Migration begins June 22. You will be notified when the process is complete.
- If your My_Documents folder is empty, no files will move, but the folder will become read-only. If you are not using this storage location, no action is needed.
- File Access: Files will begin appearing in OneDrive June 22; OneDrive is the preferred location to access and edit files as soon as they appear. Once you see files in OneDrive, stop accessing files from the current location (R: Drive).
- Files will be copied to OneDrive Documents/My_Documents. Do not rearrange the directory structure until you are notified by IT that migration is complete.
- My_Documents files will be read-only during the final stage of the move, starting July 5. Access will be fully removed 90 days later.
- File Names: These characters cannot be used in OneDrive file names: " * : < > ? / \ | along with leading and trailing spaces. Illegal characters will be replaced with underscores.
- Local Network Storage: If you require local network storage, please contact the IT Service Desk to restore My_Documents for local network storage.
Action Needed Prior to the Move:
- Prepare Files: Delete any content that doesn’t need to be migrated for example old backups. This will make the migration process quicker and easier.
- If you are not already using OneDrive, consider getting familiar with the tool at your convenience. Get Started with OneDrive (Related Article) is available on the WPI Hub, and you may request assistance or training through the IT Service Desk.
- Automated Processes: If you have any files dropped into My_Documents via an automated process, let IT know as soon as possible because you may still require local storage!
- If you use a UNIX home directory (even via Windows or Mac), there will be a separate email with information about the migration of those files/folders.
After the Move:
Files will be accessible via Office 365 and on computers and mobile devices across Windows (File Explorer), MacOS (Finder), Linux.
Files will be available in OneDrive – Worcester Polytechnic Institute (wpi.edu). Reminders that you can:
- Manage OneDrive file permissions yourself.
- Share files.
- Sync files in Windows or Mac if offline access is needed.
\\storage.wpi.edu\HOME\My_Documents becomes read-only. Access will be fully removed in 90 days.