Welcome to WPI! The Information Technology Services Department (IT) developed this guide to help new faculty and staff access and use technology and systems provided by IT at WPI. Please complete the required steps indicated by checkboxes. Optional resource information is also included.
Careful attention to logins, access, safe computing practices and data handling is an important responsibility for each member of WPI.
- Please read the Acceptable Use Policy, applicable to all WPI account holders.
- The Privacy and Information Security compliance training in the WPI Learning Academy (Percipio) gives an overview of your role in keeping WPI's data safe.
Your WPI Credentials
WPI grants your account, assigns a username, and requires you to create a secure password. Using these credentials, you are privileged to securely access licensed applications and university data. In addition, you have access to your WPI email account, personal and business file storage space, login to campus computers, and printing. (If you have received email with instructions, you may have already completed these items.)
- Ensure several options for Multifactor Authentication (MFA) are established, as this is required by some WPI systems.
- Please setup required verification methods for Self Service Password Reset (SSPR).
WPI Applications and Support
- Sign-in to hub.wpi.edu
Some of the most commonly used WPI applications and systems enabling employees’ work are available via the WPI Hub App Marketplace.hub.wpi.edu App Marketplace
News and alerts, Software, Instructions and additional Support Resources can also be found on the WPI Hub.Navigating the WPI HubIT Support Options
The Software Center can be used to install licensed software on WPI computers.Install Applications with the Software Center
Electronic Mail and Calendars
As a member of WPI you are licensed to use a WPI email account. Your email address is based upon your WPI username (i.e. Jon E. Smith has username jesmith, therefore the email address is firstname.lastname@example.org).
Email, calendars, the global address list, etc. can be accessed using these options:
O365 Outlook for the Web
- Read your email via any web browser using the app on the WPI Hub. Login with your WPI email address (email@example.com) and password.
Email Groups and Mailing Lists
O365 Groups exist for campus communications and are best accessed using O365 Outlook for the Web. Community members will automatically receive mail from the appropriate Distribution Groups. Other Groups can also be created.O365 Groups Information
You may configure your WPI email on your mobile device.Mobile Email Configuration
Storing WPI Data
- Please consult the WPI Data Classification and Usage Policy which governs file storage.
IT provides various means of secure file storage to save, access and share WPI data. An overview of IT file storage recommendations is available online.File Storage Recommendations
- OneDrive individual cloud storage
- SharePoint online file organization and sharing for departments, committees, projects, etc.
- On-premise file storage may be in use by some departments. Map Network Drive using instructions linked below if access to departmental storage is required.
Access WPI Data
- Access finance, payroll, and human resources data via Workday.
Staff, faculty, students and guests can collaborate with Teams tools.Get started with Teams
Learning Management System (LMS)
The LMS gives faculty, staff, and students access to course, project, and university sites.
- Login to Canvas using your WPI username and password
Course Material: Announcements, Discussion Boards, Assignments, Homework Grades, etc.
Project Group Collaboration for IQP and MQP Project Groups (by request)
WPI Faculty/Staff Committees and Student Organizations can utilize the LMS to share information
New courses and organizations may be requestedCanvas Site Requests
Details about WPI projects are advertised by faculty and available to the WPI community in eProjects. Data from eProjects ties into academic processes for submission, degree requirements, evaluations, and archiving into Digital WPI.eProjects Information