Welcome to WPI! The Information Technology Services Department (IT) developed this guide to help new faculty and staff access and use technology and systems provided by IT at WPI. Please complete the required steps indicated by checkboxes. Optional resource information is also inculded.
Careful attention to logins, access, safe computing practices and data handling is an important responsibility for each member of WPI.
- Please read the Acceptable Use Policy, applicable to all WPI account holders.
- The Privacy and Information Security compliance training in the WPI Learning Academy (Percipio) gives an overview of your role in keeping WPI's data safe.
Your WPI Credentials
WPI grants your account, assigns a username, and requires you to create a secure password. Using these credentials, you are privileged to securely access licensed applications and university data. In addition, you have access to your WPI email account, personal and business file storage space, login to campus computers, and printing. (If you have received email with instructions, you may have already completed these items.)
- Please setup required verification methods for Self Service Password Reset (SSPR).
- Ensure several options for Multifactor Authentication (MFA) are established, as this is required by some WPI systems.
WPI Applications and Systems
Some of the most commonly used WPI applications and systems enabling employees’ work are available via the WPI Hub App Marketplace.hub.wpi.edu App MarketplaceNew Employee Resources
Electronic Mail and Calendars
As a member of WPI you are licensed to use a WPI email account. Your email address is based upon your WPI username (i.e. Jon E. Smith has username jesmith, therefore the email address is email@example.com).
Email, calendars, the global address list, etc. can be accessed using these options:
O365 Outlook for the Web
- Read your email via any web browser using the app on the WPI Hub. Login with your WPI email address (firstname.lastname@example.org) and password.
Email Groups and Mailing Lists
O365 Groups exist for campus communications and are best accessed using O365 Outlook for the Web. Community members will automatically receive mail from the appropriate Distribution Groups. Other Groups can also be created.O365 Groups Information
You may configure your WPI email on your mobile device.Mobile Email Configuration
Storing WPI Data
IT provides various means of secure file storage to save, access and share WPI data.
- Please consult the WPI Data Classification and Usage Policy which governs file storage.
- OneDrive individual cloud storage
- SharePoint online file organization and sharing for departments, committees, projects, etc.
On-premise file storage may be in use by some departments.On-premise file storage
Accessing WPI Data
- Access finance, payroll, and human resources data via the Workday app on the WPI Hub.
Enables certain roles to access admissions, financial aid, registration/academic history, and alumni data.
Bannerweb: Used to view/enter some Banner data via a web browser; login using your WPI username and password.Bannerweb
Banner Production INB (Internet Native Banner): Used to perform additional Banner queries and reports, as well as data entry; login using your WPI username and password.Banner Prod Install and Access
Online Courses & Organizations
Learning Management System (LMS)
The LMS gives faculty, staff, and students access to course, project, and university sites.
- Login to Canvas using your WPI username and password
Course Material: Announcements, Discussion Boards, Assignments, Homework Grades, etc.
Project Group Collaboration for IQP and MQP Project Groups (by request)
WPI Faculty/Staff Committees and Student Organizations that utilize the LMS to share information
New courses and organizations may be requested by instructorsCanvas Site Requests
Staff, faculty, students and guests can collaborate with Teams tools.Get started with Teams